Thanks to modern technology, you don’t need to have years of gardening experiences to be able to successfully grow your own lawn, flower bed or vegetable patch. The right smart gardening tech lets you get started and avoid all the mistakes that many beginners make.
Smart garden and lawn technology range from tools, apps and gadgets that help you monitor soil quality, adjust to the weather and manage the planting process. This lets you quickly get off and running when it comes to seeding, planting, watering and fertilizing your plants, both indoors and outdoors.
Because there are so many different types of garden and lawn care tech around, we’ve decided to break them up into groups to help you figure out which you need most.
Plant and soil sensors are one of the most useful types of gardening technology around. They supply you a lot of information about the current status of your plants and soil. This allows you to know if they’re healthy, need watering or more sunlight.
All you need to do is place these devices into the soil near your plants. They will then collect information about the surfaces and send this data to your mobile devices. Most sensors come with apps you can install in your cellphone or tablet. Some also come with website logins that allow you check all the information on your laptop.
Thanks to them, you’re better able to care for your plants. They’ll tell you the nutrition levels, humidity, amount of light, moisture and temperature the plants are getting. This lets you know if you need to make some adjustments to your watering schedule, change or increase the amount of fertilizer you’re using.
Some also come with recording capabilities. This allows you to keep track of all the things you’ve collected along with the actions you’ve taken. Many also offer recommendations based on the type of plant you have. So, you don’t just get generic results.
Here are a few plant sensors we like.
- Koubachi Wi-Fi Plant Sensor
- Edyn Wi-Fi Smart Garden Sensor
- sPlant Soil Sensor
These are the high tech version of your traditional garden sprinklers. Most are designed to replace your sprinkler’s controller system, although some also come with the sprinkler head itself.
Smart sprinklers help you in many ways.
- Use weather forecasts. This allows them to know whether it’s going to be sunny or rainy. Doing so lets you increase or moderate the amount of water the release
- Remote control and scheduling. You’ll be able to control and change the settings using your smart phone. This lets you adjust how much water and when the sprinkler should work.
- Conserve water. Besides helping your plants get the proper amount of water, they are also designed to save you water. The scheduling feature as well as knowing the weather forecast allows them to use optimal amounts of water, without overdoing it.
- Divide your lawn or garden into zones. This lets you control which areas of your garden gets more, or less water, and when. By splitting it into zones, you can tell the sprinkler which zones it should water, how much it should dispense and when to do so.
When it comes to smart sprinkler systems here are a few products that work very well
- Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller
- Orbit B-hyve WiFi Sprinkler Timer
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Smart Watering Controller
If you do a lot of outdoor gardening, weather sensors are a great tool to have. But, they’re also useful for certain types of indoor use.
Weather sensors are a step up above the common free weather apps. In addition to letting you know the weather forecast, the also have the ability to monitor air quality indoors as well as air pressure, humidity and temperature.
This makes them useful whether you’re doing indoor or outdoor gardening, albeit you’ll be using different features of these devices for each.
These sensors also lend themselves to a few other uses including monitoring your child’s nursery and wine cellar environment. They’ll be able to track the surrounding air, temperature and other metrics that will help you figure out whether the environment is optimal for that room in your home.
In general, there aren’t too many weather sensors around. And, they offer varying features. Here are a couple popular products.
- Netatmo Weather Station
Robot Lawn Mowers
Robot lawn mowers are like robotic vacuum cleaners but for your gardens. They aren’t as far developed as their vacuum counterparts. So, we recommend waiting a while before investing in one.
Robotic lawn mowers are designed to make mowing your lawn hands-free. The are small flat rectangular devices with two wheels on their sides or towards the rear.
Very similar to robot vacuums, they run of smart technology that allows them to navigate through your lawn. This system lets them the entire area methodically. All the while maneuvering around obstacles and turning on corers and edges. At the bottom of the machine are mower blades which cut grass.
These high tech lawn mowers do require some set up in the beginning. Currently, most of them require quite a bit. We do expect that to become much less tedious as the technology develops.
If you want to learn more about robot lawn mowers, check out Robomow. They’ve been manufacturing these devices for years. Although we do warn you that the prices are still quite expensive.
If you give in an urban location or a city where apartments and townhouses are the norm, then you may not have a lot of space for an outdoor garden. But, that doesn’t mean you need to give up on having some plant life at home.
Plants offer a lot of benefits. This is true even when they’re grown indoors.
- Improve oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange. We as humans breathe in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Plants do the opposite. This helps increase the amount of breathable air indoors.
- They make your home more beautiful. Well maintained plants positioned in the right areas of your home improve its ambience. They also make it brighter and more welcoming, which is why many service related establishments have plants at their reception areas.
- Natural stress relievers. Studies show that indoor plants help reduce stress. This is true both in the workplace as well as at home.
- They boost happiness and productivity. Having plants around also help boost your mood. They’ve been shown to make people happier and get more things done.
To help you grow flowers, vegetable or herbs indoors even if you’re a beginner, here are some useful indoor gardening tools and gadgets that help.
- Click and Grow Smart Garden